Mohawk Day Camp is seeking an Aquatics Director. Position can be customized as a seasonal or full-time job based on the applicant’s availability and qualifications. There are year-round planning and hiring responsibilities, and this individual would be part of our year-round camp leadership team. We are looking for a knowledgeable, friendly, creative and well-organized person to join our dynamic team.
Mohawk Day Camp
Camp Mohawk is like no other – uniquely focused on delivering amazing camper experiences. Celebrating more than 90 years of memorable summers for generations of campers between the ages of 3-15. We offer dynamic programming in state of the art facilities, situated on 40 beautiful acres in White Plains, N.Y., and serve families in lower Westchester County, New York City and areas of Connecticut. If you have a passion for excellence, are hardworking, possess excellent communication skills we would love to hear from you!
Our aquatics program is a critical component of the Mohawk Day Camp camper experience. Campers swim daily, with a combination of both instructional and recreational swim. The aquatics facility includes eight heated outdoor swimming pools of varying depths to accommodate campers 3 to 15 years of age. The summer aquatics team includes around fifty swim staff comprised of swim instructors and lifeguards.
Scope of Position
The Aquatics Director will manage the swim staff, deliver a high-quality swim program to campers, ensure camper safety and work well in a team environment. Additional planning, hiring, and training responsibilities are a component of this position.
- Recruit, hire, train, develop, schedule and supervise swim staff. Review and evaluate staff performance. Develop strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensure records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Provide training for aquatic instructors and camp counselors on proper swim instruction techniques as well as managing camper behavior at the pools
- Implementing age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate swim program activities needed
- Monitor daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local health and safety regulations
- Supervise and coach swim staff in all aspects of their job performance
- Demonstrate skills in customer service, organizational skills, communications, supervision, computer knowledge, and file maintenance
- Experience teaching swim lessons to children
- 3 plus years of staff supervision experience
- Facility operation and pool management experience
- Currently Certified as a Lifeguard and WSI preferred
- LGT/CPR/WSI Trainer preferred (not required)
- Familiar with Board of Health Sanitary Codes related to the camp aquatics program
- Summer camp experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree and/or five years related knowledge and experience